Introducing Cloudera Enterprise 6.0
Digital technologies are changing business models, reshaping how companies go-to-market, win new customers and drive new revenue-producing opportunities. Consider the following practices that, until recently, were relegated to the R&D department:
- Data-driven decision making – the collection and analysis of data to guide decisions that improve success.
- Cloud service architecture – storing and accessing data and services over the Internet instead of your data center or local computer’s hard drive.
- Machine learning driven business – A focus on the design of systems that can learn from and make decisions and predictions based on data.
It’s hard for CIOs and CDOs to keep up and make the right technology decisions in a rapidly changing and disruptive, yet innovative, market. Complicating matters is the increasing focus on data protection and the far-reaching implications of IoT (e.g. connected cars, cities, wearables, phones, etc.).
The list of questions and the variability of answers are seemingly endless:
- Will cloud be the budget savior with its scale, flexibility, and promise of agile delivery?
- Will I end up with a huge bill as projects scale and ultimately require continuously running cloud instances?
- What type of infrastructure and how many resources do I need to accommodate future ML needs?
- What tooling can we standardize on?
- How do I enable self-service for my rapidly growing data science teams?
- How do I safely deliver self-service and scale for production environments that span teams and use cases?
- How do I get to the next level in the data-driven journey fast enough?
- How do I meet a growing demand for self-serve BI, while not exploding my data warehouse budgets?
- How can I optimize my rate of return and continue to drive innovation?
Tough decisions. Complex scenarios. At Cloudera, we believe a strong partnership and the right technology foundation can put you on the path to data-driven success. This is especially critical in a world where petabyte-scale data is commonplace, business demand is insatiable, and security and governance requirements are unavoidable.
For more on the data-driven journey, I would encourage you to view our Cloudera Now presentation. The rest of this blog is focused on how Cloudera Enterprise 6.0 can deliver that technology foundation.
You know by now that Cloudera Enterprise is the modern platform for machine learning and analytics optimized for the cloud. You could think of it as an insight factory, your innovation environment, and the engine that powers your digital transformation. Like always, with this new major release, we have placed a great deal of focus on delivering a highly curated, extraordinarily well-tested software release that meets our customers’ needs today and sets them up for future success.
In the coming days, you’ll be learning more about how Cloudera Enterprise 6 enables you to provide direct value to business users and developers alike. Below are a few C6 highlights to get you started:
- A new release of Cloudera’s Altus Director – the tool that helps you spin up multiple data and compute clusters in the cloud
- A new major release of Solr (the full-text search engine), with new analytics capabilities over text data, to expedite your data warehousing into unstructured data
- A new major release of HBase (the columnar data store) that reflects on the higher demand SLAs of large-scale customers today by its focus and delivery on administration, supportability, performance and resource allocation.
- A new Cloudera Manager release that allows you to manage more clusters with fewer human and system resources, prevent unauthorized access & mistakes that could cause outages. It also results in less effort to provision & configure new clusters and support very large-scale data processing applications
- A new major Hive version (our SQL ELT tool) with increased performance, efficiency, and usability gains for ELT pipelines, along with significantly improved resilience, to better serve mission-critical pipelines that often constitutes the core of customers’ data platforms.
Cloudera Enterprise runs on any environment – public, private, multi and hybrid cloud, or bare metal – and delivers as-a-service ease and flexibility for ultimate self-service. Our Shared Data Experience (SDX) separates metadata from compute and storage to ensure critical data context such as schema, security policies, and business definitions persist and can be shared across workloads and use cases.
Multi-function analytics, enterprise-grade features, and environment-spanning capabilities are delivering on the promise of digital transformation for many of our customers today. We’re excited to see how CIO’s and CDO’s optimize existing and create new usage models with Cloudera Enterprise 6.